Re: Why buy Forged Pistons?

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Our friend Wing is getting a group but together (Go
> Wing!) but before I
> jump in I'm not sure they will benefit my upcoming
> 3A Audi bottom end.
>
> Why do I care? (I know I'm _supposed_ to but Why?)
>
> TBerk

Forged pistons give you more strength for the same
weight. They're good for turbocharged engines and
killer race motors. They can be trickier to use since
they expand more than cast pistons, meaning you need
more clearence in the cylinders. This can result in
noisey piston slap and problems with the seals and oil
consumption. I'm not convinced they're really worth it
for street driving. Different strokes for different
folks, as the saying goes.

=====
Jorel Jackson
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos