Re: [TECH] replacing tie rods....

Hellllz no.  Please dont take out the PS pump or rack.  Turn the steering
wheel to full lock either direction, and that will get them far out enough
to allow you to get in there with a big adjustable (or appropriately sized
normal wrench) to break them loose.  The OEM tie rods are kind of a bitch in
that they dont get easy to take off once the threads are broken loose.
You'll probably have to struggle with 1/4 turns.  But the replacement ones I
got were much easier to deal with.

Also, be sure to do a shadetree alignment with a measuring tape and chalk.
Dont trust the amount of thread sticking out like I did :)

HTH
Joe