Pt 2 Alternator?/the headaches continue (long)]

 Okay, here's what they found, bad diode (rectifier), rest of the alternator
fine (this may or may not solve the problem, but worth fixing anyway ). PO
paid his $198 for a new bearing (~$6?) and some paint, the rest was old, maybe
even factory. I have half a notion to phone the PO and let him know the honest
people he has been dealing with (not). So if that doesn't help, I'll go back
and see my alternator guy . Brushes were fine, connections on
battery/alternator/starter  are clean, I'll go over the wiring again once more
when I get the car back.

As for the clutch, no signs of oil at all, just plain old burnt out, so I hope
everyone's advice to put another stock one in is sound, we'll see! I'm not too
inmpressed with <3000kms on this one though, I got well over 100X that on my
Jetta (>300000kms), but it got driven more conservatively  =;)

Maybe I'll actally get to "drive in a spirited manner" soon.
Trying to remember that first drive...and what a bank balance was like, Cathy