Re: stereo (amp wiring) + my Q

I just put such a wire in my car.  I made a hole on the passenger side of the
firewall (USA).

On my car, the AC plumbing was the only thing there, and I could reach easily
under the dash.  From there, The wire goes behind the center console, past the
shifter and hand brake lever and into the rear.

I chose this route since the carpet was already loose there.

My question:  I connected this big red wire to the big red wire on the
alternator.  I did this since it was closer, and that wire goes straight to the
battery (making a pit stop at the starter)

The dude at the stereo shop said this was bad.  Why?

Dan Brideau
http://www.type53.com/