Re: Bodywork Knowledge....(how to get some)

Fry, Larry wrote:

> Andre-
>    Wet sanding filler won't hurt the filler, nor will it "gum" up the
> paper.  (Light surface rust is inconsequential, in that you can remove
> it just before the first coat of primer/sealer by dry sanding.)

    Provided you can get it all without destroying your feathered edges.
I didn't want to take the chance.  Maybe the pros can do it and get away
with it, but as a learning experience I ain't about to chance it.

> whole purpose of WET sanding is to allow the water to carry away the
> particulates so they WON'T load the paper. NOT wet-sand primer???!!!

    I used an old skool primer, PPG Kondar and was told not to wet sand
it.  True, it does gum up a bit but nothing that a good WHACK can't get
rid of.  Maybe things changed A LOT since 1995, but to my knowledge most
primer "at that time" absorbed water... which can't be a good thing!

> Dry, two swipes with the 400grit and you throw the paper away. Used
> wet, the paper lasts maybe 2 or 3 minutes anyway.  You'll also want to
> use water when you color-sand, prior to clear-coating/rubbing-out.

    Atsa the only time water was introduced on my paint job.  Heh, the
guy who owned the shop specifically asked me if my car had gotten wet
prior to it coming to the shop for painting.  He sure was concerned
about it...  Maybe its just a Kondar thing!?!?

> And, hey, have any of you found out about the miracle of spot putty?

    Taint no miracle, but yes, I did use spot putty on the areas where I
found some small holes created from bubbles in the filler and/or deep
scratches.  As always, YMMV...

Andre'
Lime Green 79
Kirkland WA