Alternator?/the headaches continue (long)

Okay, just needing a quick confirmation that I need an alternator. Here's what
happened.
Took the car for a drive, noticed the Volt meter was reading a bit low, 12ish
instead of 14. As I drove, it continued to drop, so I pulled over to check the
belt, all seemed fine, tight, turning the alternator okay, no squealing, etc.
So I drove on, the the meter dropped to 10, then 8 (lowest reading), gas guage
went to low, and the MFA went out (I'm thinking find a nice shoulder by this
point) and then it sputtered and died. So I checked the Bentley (sitting on
the passenger seat on top of the new clutch box,) and got hubby to bring me
another battery. Car fired up, ran fine and home I went, then did the test in
the Bentley and it points to the alternator. Any other possibilities? It was
repaired ( not rebuilt) to the tune of $196 in Sept by the PO, I phoned the
garage and they said it has a 90 day warrantee (long past) if it was repaired,
not rebuilt. What the heck did they do for $196 that is only good for 90 days
I wonder (they sublet it), for that money I was sure it would be a year
warrantee. Sounds like an alternator, no?
The car is finally doing "air time" for its second clutch, it will be good to
get that fixed, but will the bills ever stop? I have never had a car before
that needs everything done/ found/ ordered two or three times before it is
right. Very depressing, since I did not win the lottery or marry into the
Gates family.
On the plus side, the car got appraised and it was very favorable, actually
right on my "highest" estimate which is nice, so when I drive it off that
cliff I'll get some of the money back that has been put into it...
Cathy
4 well behaved cars and one 1987 16V 2.0L Scirocco
"The Silver Headache", fast approaching "Silver Nightmare" status
(all will be well when I take it for a spin with the new clutch, no worries)