Near disaster averted....that was a close one.

Here is one to make your heart skip a beat.

On the way home from picking up a movie last night (driving Mars) I heard a
pop and then a clunk..clunk..., like a rock hitting the bottom of my car
twice.
Front end started acting rear wierd.
Pulled over at the first stop and checked everything I could in the dark.
Couldn't see anything wrong, all lugnuts present, wheels solid, nothing
seemed awry..???...???
Started driving and again, still acting wierd, pulling under acceleration
and making a poping sound over bumps WTF????.
I slowed to 20mph, put on my flashers and limped home.
Parked the car and decided to look at her today when it was light out.
This morning I pulled her in the garage, jacked her up and started looking
for anything obvious.
To my suprise I found it right away..........the bolt used to clamp the
lower bearing housing to the ball joint was AWOL!!!!!!
I must have driven 4 miles with nothing holding the bearing housing to the
balljoint but gravity. Doh!
Needles to say I am breathing a sigh of relief after replacing the bolt/nut
with a new one, going a little beyond the factory torque settings this time.
Just thought I'd share.....:)

Randy
81 Scirocco S "Cosmos"
81 Scirocco S "Mars"