[Tech - HELP] "Recently Rebuilt" 2H Transaxle Install

I just got done installing a supposedly "recently rebuilt" 2H in an '84
GTI, and I can't shift into 3rd, 4th, or 5th...

I tried adjusting the linkage, but it still will only shift into reverse,
1st, and 2nd.

I just disconnected the linkage from the transaxle, and I can only get
1st, 2nd, and reverse at the transaxle.

Sitting in the car, the selector shaft lever on the transaxle is forward,
and towards the driver's side for reverse.
1st is right before reverse, 2nd is across from 1st, and towards the
passenger side...
3rd should be right next to 1st and to the driver's side and 4th acrocc,
etc., right?

At the transaxle:

D.S.                  P.S.

1 	- 	2
3 	-	4
5

This transaxle was supposedly rebuilt 30K miles ago, and in good working
condition, but I'm having my doubts...

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Techtonics Discount Dealer -  Bear,
Delaware

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red