my damn car (long)

my 16v has had idle problems for a while now.  I thought i found the cause
when i discovered a line from the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel distributor
had gasoline in it (not to mention it was hooked up from the regulator to
the boot that attaches to the intake manifold instead of to the manifold).
I changed out the fuel pressure regulator, and i put the line in its correct
location.  I figured that would solve my idle problems.  By idle problems
i mean, on occasion, if i dont keep my foot slightly on the gas, the car
will stall.  When removing pressure on the pedal, the idle dives for 0,
instead of slowly decending to the 1000rpm area.  A few days passed with
no problems, so i thought i had solved that problem.  wrong.  now its worse.
 When this problem is occuring, the car will stall if im in neutral and
give it no gas, or it will cut out entirely if i give it full throttle.
 anywhere in between seems to work ok.  the car is slowly becoming undrivable
because of this.  anyone else experience a similar problem?  any ideas?

koabi

ps: on the return trip the car ran incredibly well