Re: injector o-ring replacement

This is very straight forward and doesn't "require" any special tools,
although the puller is handy.

Your 16V has two o-rings per injector, go ahead and get all eight.

Your 16V also has plastic injector seats, also with an o-ring per, go ahead
and buy all these as well. The plastic bakes as your engine runs, gets very
brittle with age. They're cheap, replace them too.

I use a medium size standard (8") screwdriver with the tip bent a little
from prying too hard on something immoveable. I pry against the lower intake
manifold and try to keep the injector straight relative to the seat by
holding the top with my other hand.

With old seats, you will likely break at least one, which will drop into the
head. Oops. Hopefully you can fish them out with a coat-hanger-hook, else
you may have to pull the intake manifold. It is plastic, so if a few *small*
fragments get lost they will pass harmlessly (not guarantee implied ;)
through the exhaust, but to try to get all the pieces out.

The injector seats require a 12mm hex tool which I ended up having to source
from Snap-On as Sears, Napa, et al didn't carry that large a size.

I used non-silicone, sensor safe anti-seize on the seats when I installed
them, along with the new o-ring. This prolly wasn't necessary but added
peace of mind for me.

When re-seating the injectors into the seats, be sure to keep them
perpendicular to the seat else they will crack your new seat and either leak
air or require R&R again.

I use a brass drift and a small mallet to gently tap the injector back down
into place, working around the circumference of the injector to keep it
even. You will hear a decided change in report when the injector has
bottomed in the seat, letting you know it is in place.

All-in-all it took me about 45 minutes to replace mine, made for a much
smoother idle and better off-idle throttle response on my 145K mile motor.

Good luck.

Christian Els
87 16V