Re: trying to get 10-sec out of a 1.8T

$7000 isn't hardly enough for this swap.  You may be able to get a 1.8T installed in the car for about that, but it'll be bone stock, or maybe just chipped.  Now that doesn't mean it won't be fast, but it sure won't be more than a mid 14 second car.

The TEC-II system costs serious cash and takes some time to set up properly.  To use a larger turbo on the 1.8T requires a different exhaust manifold, wastegate, turbo, downpipe, etc.  You'll also have to fabricate a custom intercooler arrangement.

The problem with turning the boost down is with the power levels you're talking about you're going to have hellacious turbo lag.  If you then turn the boost down the car is going to really suck wind the entire time.

I'd conservatively estimate needing $12,000 for this project, assuming you already have a car that's in good condition for the swap.

The easiest way to try to estimate a budget is to clearly outline the goals and needs.  Ie, you need a 1.8T motor, complete, different exhaust manifold, turbo, TEC-II, custom downpipe etc.  Write down all those costs, include new motor mounts, radiator, suspension, bigger brakes, labor, paint.  Get a total?  Ok, now triple it.  That'll give you a true idea of what this'll cost.  Trust me, I've done big swaps like this before and they always end up costing at least twice what I expected, sometimes more.

-josh

  derrick flo <derrickmd18@juno.com> wrote:

I'm planing on starting a project in 7 months and my budget is 7,000.
basically now I'm gathering information of different project and seeing
that the best one to do. I reason why a was thinking about the 1.8T was
because for street ability driving i could turn down the boost and with a
TEC or other system be still streetable. basically I'm looking for a
good setup where i can run a descent time and not had a bad daily driver
car.