Re: clutch, steering rack issues

Best case scenario is that you have oil on the clutch disk and it is
sticking to either the pp or the flywheel. Worst case scenario is that the
1-2 slider inside the tranny is cracking and causing shifting problems.
Chances are that its the clutch as the 1-2nd slider problem was remedied in
'83 by using a curved dog recess instead of a square dog recess. HTH

In the 3 years and 40k miles that I've had my car, there have been 4-5
occasions where I've gone to start the car, only to have it lurch when
I turn the key, as if to be in gear with the clutch engaged.. despite the
fact that I have the clutch fully depressed.  A couple of quick pumps on
the clutch and a restart and off I go as if nothing happened.  Finally the
other day, after having this happen in the morning, then be fine at
lunchtime, on my way home I could no longer get the car into 1st or
second w/o shutting it off.. then upshifting while driving was very
difficult, and downshifting was nearly impossible, even with perfect
double-clutches.  My mechanic buddy says this is likely the clutch disk
getting hung up on the splines and not completely disengaging.  It *feels"
normal when I depress the clutch - i.e. proper resistance from the pedal.
So - the prognosis is to drop the tranny and check things out - and
likely replace the clutch and pressure plate while in there, which
ain't a bad thing as I know my clutch has relatively high mileage at
this point, and likely isn't the nicer OEM 2-liter clutch setup
in it.  But - if there is no sign of an issue at the splines, then the
problem (I'm told) could possibly be internal in the tranny.  Any
opinions/experiences here?

Secondly, I've suspected for some time that my steering rack is worn and
on its way out - it's definitely leaking.  So I may have it replaced as
well, with the tranny out it's a much easier job too.

Lastly, I've always complained of squirrely handling at the rear of the
car the whole time I've had it, despite having new Bilsteins/H&R's/all
bushings, good rubber, etc.  I noticed while it was up on the rack that
my rear tires are cupping slightly on the inside, like I've got a rear
alignment issue.  After reading someone's (Jason?) recent account of
having their rear shimmed up and aligned properly and the car feeling
totally different & better afterwards, I'll probably spring for a 4-wheel
alignment while I'm getting my wallet drained and see what it does for
my car.

Any opinions/suggestions/experiences, particularly on the clutch problem,
most welcomed..

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA