Clutch main shaft seal

So, I got 2 seals with my clutch kit. One is the pushrod seal. The other, I
am assuming, is the mainshaft seal. Is there a way to replace this seal
without removing the mainshaft. It seems like a lot of hassle to go through
for preventative maintenance. Of course, now that my dumbass removed the 5th
gear shift fork rod and apparently have to split the case, this may not
matter anymore. But I would still like to know if it is necessary.
Also, how bad would it be to skip the mainshaft seal replacement. The one I
have now does not leak to my knowledge.
Thanks,
Todd