Re: Low oil pressure

I spun the engine right up to redline a couple of times today (as usual) and it seems to be running normally.  I think I got off lucky.  Whew!

David Z
-----Original Message-----
From: FreshApple <freshapple@mac.com>
To: David Zanotti <zanotti@wmis.net>
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Date: Sunday, September 24, 2000 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: Low oil pressure

For the most part, no major damage was done.  Slight wear may have occurred on some moving engine parts, but nothing major.  The lifters were noisy because they are hydraulic?
My lifters/valves get noisy after auto-x for about 30 sec. - 1 min. and then quiet down.  Everything should be okay in your case as long as you don't do it again.
You might need to get new front brake pads if they have become soaked with oil.  Clean the rest of the brake off with brake cleaner to get all of the oil off.

David Zanotti wrote:

 Suffered major brain fade the other day and forgot to replace the oil filler cap on the valve cover after adding oil.  Proceeded to drive down the highway at about 60mph unitil the warning light and buzzer came on simultaneously.  I cut the engine and pulled over. Luckily the cap was still in the engine compartment and I had a quart with me.  I put the quart in and limped the the next gas 'n go (about two miles).  No lights or buzzer during this time.  Added 3 quarts at the station.  Lifters were noisy for the first 30 seconds and then everything seemed normal.  Proceeded to drive 200 miles at 75mph with no problems. I'm wondering what my risk is here.  Is it possible that the engine suffered no damage?  I expect that I must have done something to it.  Anyone have any idea what I can expect?  I'm hoping that I'm in the clear. The worst part of it so far is that the oil flying around the engine compartment coated my right front brake (among other things), rendering it useless for now. David Z.

--
DanK
'87 16V Black