WOT stress bar interference

Listers,

The 84 8v that I bought a couple of months ago came with an ABD Racing
upper stress bar (which looks pretty cool) and a 85 GTI throttlebody.
The problem...I don't think I can get WOT because the throttle cable
hits the stress bar as it approaches WOT. (actually it is the end of
the throttle cable, where it attaches to the throttle, that hits the
bar). This prevents the the throttle from opening fully and prevents
the fuel enrichment switch from clicking on. It must get pretty close
because I think the car has more power than my previous 84
(R.I.P.)...Its just that if it has more to offer...I want it.

So...Is it possible to reorient the throttle (i.e. rotate the throttle
actuator),  with a corresponding lengthing of the throttle cable, and a
slight bending of the fuel enrichment switch arm so that I get to WOT
before it hits the stress bar?

Does anyone else have an ADB Racing stress bar with this problem? If I
raise the stress bar 1/4" using washers to give more clearance, will it
hit the hood? It looks like there is already one spot where it might
have been rubbing.

Also, Does a GTI throttle body add any significant performance over
stock?

TIA,
-Keith
84 8v Minty Green (apparently not giving 100%)