Re: Tranny ID

--- kd5ceu@juno.com wrote:
> Howdy to all on the list. I have a 79' Scirocco. The
> original dealer
> delivery paperwork states that it was delivered with
> a 5 speed. However
> It currently has only 4 speeds.  My question is: How
> to ID which tranny
> it is by using the transaxle numbers stamped on the
> transaxle? Is it
> possible that the linkage is screwed up? I'd much
> rather have a 5 speed
> being that I drive quite a bit on the freeways in
> Houston.

It's possible that the linkage is messed up.

The tranny code is stamped on the bottom of the tranny
near close to the "bell housing" where the tranny
meets the short block.

The important part of the code is the first 2 or 3
letters (or numbers). I only have my 1980-1982 Bentley
manual with me, but it indicates that the 4 speed
should start with "GC" up through 1980. The five speed
that a '79 would have come with should start with an
"F".

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
Owner of 20th Century VWs
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)