The rear wiper saga

Ok, here's a tricky one.  When I got my car, the rear wiper didn't
work.  Okay, so I check the fuse.  It's fine.  I take off the cover and
related bits, and find the three wires going to the motor have all been
cut!  I installed a motor that I got with the car (if it worked or not
was unknown), installed it, and as soon as I tried to use it I blew the
fuse.  I went to the junkyard a while later, got a motor, same thing.
Now, did I get bad (frozen) motors and that's what's causing the fuse to
blow?  I've checked the voltage out of the connection and it appears to
be okay.  Should I find a known-to-be-working wiper motor and try it
(anyone got one cheap)?  I REALLY want my wiper working this winter, so
I'd like to get this straightened out as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Nate
'84 8v