2 liter re-build decision help

Here's my dilema:

1994...Bought a brand-new in-the-crate long block 2 liter motor for my '83
Rabbit GTI from local VW parts provider, Vee Parts. They were distributors
for Eurospec. The motor was made in Brazil and is a "bubble-block" with
8.5-1 compression with a solid lifter head--for some reason I always thought
that this motor was built for an Audi model. The motor has the engine code
of UQ, and interestingly enough, the block does not have any VW/Audi
designation on it. It's only until you break it open that you see "VW" and
the quad "O" Audi marks on the crank and rods.

To install it on my Rabbit GTI, I only had to change the gear on the end of
my distributor and install a new "distributor ring" so that the distributor
sat in the block correctly. I can't remember having to do anything else to
make it fit/work correctly in my Rabbit. The motor ran great and had a lot
of power, however it never gave me the "Ooomph" that I thought a 2 liter
should. I was always told that it was because of the 8.5-1 compression
ratio.

1995...Sold the Rabbit GTI with the motor and everything else. Stupid
mistake that I always regretted.

Sept. 1999...Bought my '81 Scirocco S and installed a used JH and a 2H
tranny.

Apr. 2000...Found my old Rabbit GTI in the local AutoTrader and bought it
back from the owner that I sold it to--my old 2 liter still in the car with
about 40k miles more than when I sold it to him. The GTI is no longer is the
greatest of shape, but I wanted the springs and Bilstiens, lower stress bar,
"self-machining problem fixed" 2H tranny, and the motor so that I could put
it all in my Scirocco. Yeeehawww!!

So I've torn the motor down (it looks to be in oustanding shape) and have
all my rebuild parts on order with Potterman. All my rebuild parts except
for the pistons. Potterman wasn't able to find me cast oversize pistons in a
higher than stock compression ratio. Actually I wasn't even going to replace
the pistons until Shawn Meze saw my project and talked me into building it
into a screamer--Why did I have to listen to HIM!!

So I finally found a vendor who said they could get me oversized (83.5mm)
pistons in a 10-1 compression ratio. All I would need to do is install a
knock sensor ignition and I would be in power heaven!! I was walking on top
of the world thinking about this.

So last week I put in my order, but then the vendor flaked on me. Basically,
they can get me the 83.5mm pistons in a 8.5-1 compression ratio (not the
10-1). The only 10-1 pistons available at this time are the OE 82.5mm
pistons.

So what do I do? Do I get the oversized pistons in the 8.5-1 compression
ratio, or the stock bore pistons in the 10-1 compression ratio? Obviously it
will be more work to go with the 10-1 pistons (as far as setting up the
knock sensng ignition), but I want POWER!!

Please note that the bores still look like they are in really good shape.
Yeah, I know that this is only a visual check, but the hone marks are
clearly visible. And the motor pulled really well before I yanked it out of
the car. Everything is waiting to be sent to the machine shop for balancing
(and boring if necessary).

Also, does anyone have any info on my UQ block? No one seems to know much
about it. Is it the same as the 3A? Searching the internet, a lot of places
say that the 3A has a 10-1 compression ratio. Interesting to note, my solid
head has only 3 camshaft bearing caps. The block also has piston squirters
that shoot oil onto the underside of the pistons. If you remember back in
the early 90's, it's the same motor that Eurospec was offering their
advertisements in EuropeanCar magazine.

TIA,
Theron