Re: Clutch problems. (No cable tension)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:38:48 GMT "Wing Gee" <winggee@hotmail.com> writes:
> this is what i'm having problems with. the pushrod in the tranny
> doesn't seem like it's long enough. there is no cable tension
whatsoever.the
> rod doesn't seem like it's moving far enough to hit the release plate.
> though...
> I shimmed the release bearing with a nut to test it. and the clutch
> performs perfectly fine with it shimmed up. though i wouldnt want to
shim it
> up. As i'm mickey mousing it. I have a 210mm flywheel with a 2L 16v
> pressure plate and a 6 puck clutch. Any suggestions would be highly
appreciated as
> i'm just all out of ideas on what could be wrong.
>
> Thanks
> Wing

Pull the rod out with a strong magnet and compare it to a good pushrod.

The little arm that actuates the release bearing has been known to crack.
Maybe it is flexing slightly and when you shim it, you are compensating
for this.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V