Re: Alternator Dynamics

EVERY component should draw less than the rating on the fuse protecting it,
or you will replacing fuses like crazy.

The PTB (powers that be) select a fuse rating based on the peak momentary
capacity of a component to withstand some current. For example (all numbers
pulled at random from my anterior dorsal cavity --please don't work from
them), the wiper motor requires 6 amps to start spinning, about 0.5 amp to
run and about 3 amps to reverse (linkage) directions. It was determined that
10 amps to the wiper motor would fry it, so they mandated an 8 amp fuse to
allow it to work without posing a risk to itself or the rest of the car.

The capacity of the alternator is ideally a little more than the
simultaneous peak draw on the system from all ancillary electrical
components. Running down the road, you should not be using most of its
possible output or you will put your alternator into a tune-up replacement
interval and it will not last the lifetime (+/-) of the car.

Natch, bolting up as high-output alternator as will fit is cheap insurance,
especially if you have a whomping stereo and a rack of driving lights on
your car. Most of the time you won't be working the motor any harder as you
aren't drawing anymore current, and when you do need it, you don't
(over)stress the alternator.

Cheers,

Christian
87 16V