sudden and severe loss of power

I was driving down the highway in my 82 8v when I had a sudden and severe
loss of power.  I was able to drop into 4th and, with the accelerator
pedal on the floor continue far enough to change lanes into the slow
lane, whereupon it stalled entirely, and I pulled onto the shoulder.
When I tried to restart it, I had plenty of crank, but it wouldn't turn
over.  I also had full electrical systems.  This reminds me of a similar
problem that I had with my 320i (which was an alternator).  I did have
the car's electrical worked on today (replacement of the voltage
stabilizer on back of the tachometer).  Would either of these be the
likely culprit?

Timothy A Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Moses approached the thick darkness where God was
Exodus 20:21