HELP-Setting/adjusting CIS fuel mixture

Dear list members,

    Help. I want to check/adjust my '85 8v's CIS mixture and idle speed. What
I really have a question on is the fuel mixture. OK, I have a borrowed
multimeter that measures dwell and duty cycle, which, according to the
Bentley, is what I need to read when leaning or richening the mixture. Am I
correct on this? I think with CIS-E 16v's, you read it in milliamps and on
the CIS 8v's you must go with duty cycle or dwell---according to the Bentley
at least. I know that I need the 3mm allen etc, but the next question I have
is,(since I have never done this before) where in the heck exactly do I need
to connect the multimeter to measure dwell and/or duty cycle? Do I need a
special VW harness or something? Any help on this would be greatly
appreciated since I am a little confused here after trying to find my answers
in the Bentley. Once again thanks for your time and help,

Tim Fritz
85' 8v Scirocco--Flash Silver