Re: Scirocco: piece of s%#! or masterpiece?

--- DNK006@aol.com wrote:
> VW's were one of the first cars that I have ever
> seen, where most of the
> parts are not VW parts!  VDO, Hella, Bosch etc...

Stuff that Porsche uses or has used as well . . . so?

> As far as constrction is
> concerned, I think the Rocco (A1 Chasis) is a good
> design, and those folks in
> Karmann did a good job.

I think I agree ;)

  There are flaws in chasis
> strength, but they can be
> fixed using stressbars.

The chassis strength was very good in 1974, not very
good compared to today's cars.

  About the best way to
> notice the quality of a
> Scirocco, is to find a Ford Excort, Dodge, Celica,
> and Chevy Cavalier of the
> same year and compare...  Conclusions will speak for
> themselves!

True, driving my Scirocco back in 1977, the car felt
light years ahead of most other cars.

> If you have been on this list long, then you
> certainly have heard what can go
> wrong...  Heater Valve, fuel pump, sunroof leaks,
> hatch leaks, drive seals,
> leaking windshield etc......

Show me an old car that does not have "issues"  ;)

> Nothing is perfect

So true, especially me!

=====
Mark Peele
Owner of 20th Century VWs
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)