Re: Rocco in Singapore

>Hello list!

Welcome, it's pretty cool to have people checking in from all over the
world here.

>I'm new to this list and it is just great to see so many enthusiasts
>out there.
>That is quite unlike here in sunny Singapore where I believe there
>are something
>less than 10 roccos on the road and thank god I own one of them.  You can
>imagine however that getting parts here is one hell of a job but
>luckily I found
>some good sources although those are in a neighbouring country - Malaysia.  If
>there are any rocco owners in this part of the world please would
>contact me and
>we could try to get together.
>
>I have only owned my 82 1.6 GTI 8v for about 10 months now and am
>slowly getting
>it up to speed - the one main problem I have however is the high 5th
>gear ratio.
>Has anyone done the Autotech 5th gear conversion and does it really work? - I
>have been thinking of other alternatives like perhaps changing the entire gear
>box and if that is viable would any one be able to recommend what would be
>suitable?

What's the transaxle code you've got?  It's stamped on the bottom of the
bellhousing...little flat spot with letters and numbers.

Check out the gear box chart on scirocco.org...click the gears on the
homepage.  I update it regularly. I'm guessing you have a 3.67 FD with a
.75 fifth and long ratio box. You could benefit greatly by switching
to a close ratio box, with maybe a custom lower (higher numeric) fifth so
it's not so buzzy on the highway. With a 3.67 FD, the .80 or a .85
would be pretty decent and keep the revs pretty low...won't pull too
well with that
1.6 though. :-)

Hope you can find your parts!

==Brett