Re: problem solved

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:13:58 -0400 (EST) "doug c."
<scirocco16v@europe.com> writes:
> ok, so i drilled out the bolt to the cranshaft vibration damper and
> was able to get the thing off...but, i may have messed up the
> threaded part on the damper itself...
>
> seeing how the inner pulley of the damper has 8 holes can i just use
> the 4 that didn't have screws into them the first time? i assume
> this will be fine, but let me know if it's not..
No, because they are threaded, so that you can use the bolts to push the
crank pulley off of the crank gear.

> also, would the dealer be able to get me some of the 6mm hex screws
> or will have to mailorder them?
You'd be better off replacing them with tougher bolts, 10.8 or something.

They don't have to be allens, hex bolts will fit fine.

> PS...stay tuned for more qeustion from me as i'll be working on my
> car for the next two days doing a timing belt, and head gasket as
> well as a million other gaskets
You might as well replace the passenger side engine mount while you are
at it.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"