Re: 87 16v cold start problems...

--- David Liu <dyliu@pacbell.net> wrote:

> well, it all really began two days ago, when in the
> morning (san francisco,
> ca), i turned the ignition and all i got was cranking. no
> start. over and
> over for roughly five minutes intermittently... finally i
> sit around for a
> few more minutes reading the big orange manual about the
> possibility that
> the cold start valve is having problems.... then, turn
> the ignition switch
> and voila, it starts!
>
> it happened today as well.. i tested the battery and it's
> registering at
> ~12v (didn't test amperage, but assuming it's fine)
>
> all i can figure is this.. if the thing starts after
> cranking and then
> rest, it's not the battery having some loss of power
> issue in the cold. it
> must have something to do with fuel delivery.
>
> any thoughts on this?
>
> thanks all!
>
> dave

Try running some extra ground wires.  I know Cammisa had
this identical problem and after running more grounds, it
totally disappeared.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
'91 Passat - parts car?
"...And Morgo, as the friendly Draub." - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In