Horrible engine bearing grinding noise

Bet'cha that gave everyone that funny feeling in your stomachs.  Anyway's
this is what I have been hearing for the last couple weeks.  So today I went
inspecting.  It is RPM dependent and starts at around 2,000 rpm and
disappears at around 2,500rpms.  Well, I found out that the noise is actually
a belt that is loose (large celebration after I found that out)  Apparently
the 16v goes through these weird vibrations at this rpm, causing this
slightly loose A/C compressor belt to go into these funky rhythms and cause
this horribly loud, bad bearing noise as it hits the timing belt cover. So I
went to go tighten the a/c belt tightener and what's this, its GONE (the
tightening bolt that is).  Just up and decided to depart the car sometime a
few weeks ago, which I can't really understand because it looks impossible
than again it's a rocco nothings impossible.

Can anyone with one of those nifty CD's tell me the size of this bolt, VW
dealer is quite a distance away, junkyard just as far, but HD is just 2 miles
away.

So today's lesson, If you are hearing loud noises coming from the engine it
might not be anything more than a loose belt. Peace

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html