which exhaust

After checking out what I have currently on my rocco, I decided I am going
to get an all new exhaust setup...
The two factors I am watching for are:

- *I have to pass inspection* (So I'll need a cat)
- I am willing to spend up to $350 for the downpipe (or headers?) and $350
for the rest of the exhaust....
What exhaust components do you all prefer? I am not looking for really high
performance, I just need stuff that will last long, sound good, all for a
good price...
Let me know your opinions please? I have been looking for a bit now but I
can't decide which exhaust components would be best.
Thanx.. I GOTTA GET THIS BEAST ON THE ROAD!!!!!!!! sick of looking at it in
the garage next to my brothers smashed up 89 2.0 GTI, they look sad.
-Justin
Alpine White 87 Scirocco 16V