cosmetices - taillights

My 16V '87 has taillights that have black horizontal
lines across them...I am sorely tempted to sand the
black off and polish them to suit my cosmetic
preference...dumb questions before I do this:

- has anyone done this, and how does it look?
- do any factory MkII Scirocco's *not* have these
black stripes (i.e., 8V's)...is there effort I can
conserve?
- if so, would anyone want to trade perfect
non-striped units even-up for my black-striped perfect
units?

TIA 'roccers,

=====