Re: Need Advice on '81 Fuel Tank

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 11:47:34 -0400 Bill.Scarince@tenneco-automotive.com
writes:

> I just picked up an '81 that has not run for about 7 years.  The PO
> said the injection system was gummed up.  To make a long story short,
nothing
> comes out of the tank to the pump.  When I shove a coat hanger up into
the
> tank, a thick black tar-like stuff comes out.  It looks like emulsified
rubber.
> Actually, it looks just like the non-hardening black Permatex gasket
stuff.

> Can this tank be saved?
Yes...
First, I would remove the fuel gauge sending unit, pull the cylindrical
screen in the fuel pickup, clean everything with 2+2 carb cleaner,
and then flush the tank with gasoline.

> Anyone have a tank to sell me (Daun?)?
I have an account with a place that reconditions gas tanks to a like new
condition, and it comes with a lifetime warranty for $150.
They also have new tanks for $160, but they are made in Taiwan and only
come with a one year warranty.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"