Re: Need Advice on '81 Fuel Tank

Hey Bill!!  I am the one you bought the sunroof crank from on Ebay!!  I am
also on the Scirocco List.  Anyway, I have had this happen once  when I
bought a car that had been sitting for a few years in Palm Springs (115deg +
in the summer time)  and I had to take the tank out and have it boiled.
They can get all that crap out of there if they boil it usually.  It might
be easier to get another one from a salvage yard or something.  I actually
have access to quite a few MK1s (salvage yards) if you don't and I could
check them out.  It wouldn't be for a week or two but I could if you didn't
need it now!!  Once you have a tank boiled, you can repaint/coat the outside
and have, basically, a next to new tank.  Either way, shouldn't be too
tough.  Now another thing you have to take into consideration is that since
it is F.I., there should have been pressure in the system through all those
years so everything from the tank to the injectors can have the same crap in
them.  If it was carbureted, sometimes it is easier since the bowl of the
carb, tank, and pump are the only parts that have any real amount of fuel
in.  Good luck!!  I hope the rest of the system is OK for your sake!!

Dave

> I just picked up an '81 that has not run for about 7 years.  The PO said
the
> injection system was gummed up.  To make a long story short, nothing comes
out
> of the tank to the pump.  When I shove a coat hanger up into the tank, a
thick
> black tar-like stuff comes out.  It looks like emulsified rubber.
Actually, it