cold start problem

Hi,

  I'm new to the list, got a '81 scirocco S in cosmo silver 3 weeks ago.
So far it's been pretty good except for it doesn't start very well when
cold.  In order to get it going it needs to be reved up to 2-3000 RPM's
for about a minute.  I have the bentley manual and have read the
watercooled volkswagen FAQ's.  So far I have checked for air leaks
(couldn't find any), checked the auxilary air regulator (fine according to
the bentley test), pcv hose (no clogs) and the cold start valve (sprays
fuel in a nice conical pattern as it should.  I'm thinking the problem may
be in the fuel system, either the pump, gas-tank screen, or fuel preasure
regulator.  I have two questions regarding this:
1.  In the Bentley manual it says you can run the fuel pump by putting a
jumper across L13 and L14 on the relay panel.  I did this and nothing
happens!  Is Bentley wrong or am I doing something incorrectly?
2.  Can anyone tell me where I could order a fuel system preasure test
gauge? All the ones at the auto parts stores around here are for ford/GM.
  BTW, it starts fine when it is warm, and runs smoothly otherwise.  My
grandmother (who I bought it from) said the performance is sluggish
compared to what it used to be.  Compression checks out ok on every
cylinder, so I'm thinking low fuel preasure may be the cause of this also.
Am I correct in this assumption?

-Shawn Rader
'81 Scirocco S