Re: Water Temp - 16V v. 8V

>From: "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca>

>Anyways,  the fan now cycles on and off but the temp reading on the
>instrument cluster is reading higher that I believe that it should be >(and
>perhaps higher than what it is). I need to know if the water temp >sensors
>differ from an 8V to a 16V or can it be that the gauge is messed?  Any
>other plausible ideas?  TIA

Well, the gauge is basically an ammeter, and the sender varies in resistance
with temperature, so that current also varies with temperature.
First, any corrosion or poor connection (and we all know that there are
_none_ of those on a 16year old car, heh) will drop the current and make the
gauge read a lower temp that in actuality. Likewise a short to ground will
peg the gauge.
Second, the senders for oil temp and water temp have identical physical
dimensions, but the water is rated to 120C and the oil to 150C, IIRC. Having
the wrong one will throw off the gauge. But again, putting an oil temp
sender to the water gauge will make it read lower than in actuality.

Where is the gauge reading? On my 85 the needle hovers on top of the warning
light at normal highway cruising. But on my 78 it rarely gets out of "the
box" I need to clean them connections. Also, the 16V tends to run a little
hotter than the 8V, FWIW.

Maybe the connections got cleaned out during the swap, and that's why it now
reads much higher than before. :-)

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0