Re: Turbo question... Noises?

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:44:26 -0700 "Winggee" <winggee@hotmail.com> writes:
>hrmm.. While i was complaining earlier about not getting enough boost.
>think the turbo might be faulty. Could the center cartridge leak
>somehow?
>the turbo has made this noise ever since i started driving it.. it's
>not
>scratching the impeller or anything.. but like a leak internally...
>hrmm..
>maybe i should record it and let you guys listen to it....  Hehe. i
>could
>sure use a tech day to fix all the little problems in the car.
>anyways..

There used to be a day when I built turbo's for a living. They're really
simple creatures, even the latest and greatest models. Simple to build,
simple to mod and simple to fix. EXPENSIVE at times but still simple.

Its been my experience that when turbo's leak internally, you have either
a housing problem (READ- you need a new housing as its NOT repairable) or
you need a new (Not repairable either) main shaft. 99% of the time the
housing is damaged beyond repair. Expensive to fix and its usually
cheaper to source another Turbo than it is to buy a housing and swap your
internals.

if you can record the sound as a .WAV file and post it to a web page, ill
listen to it and hopefully I wont recognize the sound. if you know what I
mean.

if the center housing is leaking, There's a few things you can check to
determine what is the problem. Depends on how well equipped you might be
with tools and how dirty your willing to get. :)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!