<WOB> NHC: Hydraulic Lifter Qs

Sorry for the cross-listing spam, but I know you possess a vast collective
wisdom I need to tap. Now that y'all are buttered up...

My <other> car's engine makes a gawdawful clackety racket upon startup. It
is worse when cold, but still there on a hot restart, and it diminishes as
RPMs increase irrespective of ground speed.

In my estimation (SWAG...) this is the result of one or more lifters not
retaining pressure. Once the motor gets hot, or if I artificially increase
oil pressure (rev it up) the noises go away.

My Questions:

Does this seem plausible?
Can I (attempt to) fix this cheaply - like add a can of Bob's wonder lube?
Will this damage anything over time if I wait until it otherwise requires
maintenance?

The car is perfectly driveable, suffers no loss of power or fuel economy, it
just sounds like a diesel, which bugs the heck out of my wife (her car...).

I appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Christian Els
stuff...