Re: price/hp

I wonder how accurate a graph would be if you constructed it w/just two data
points:

Point A: Bone stock 16v
Point B: Brett's ported/polished/decked chipped motronic yadayadayada....

This reminds me of something else.  On Jan's Watercooled VW Archives
(http://www-lmr.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html)
there's a group of articles by this guy named Robert Collins who it says
worked for Drake Racing.  He has some unflattering things to say about the
16v engine, one of those things being:

"16v performance review:
The VW head is junk for racing or high performance.  I have little regard
for this head at all.  For 8v owners, you are best to build the motor
you have now, as you can get MORE performance out of it, than VW's 16v."

Can anyone explain why he would say this?  What is his background or point
of view that would make this a reasonable statement?  When you contrast his
position against the fact that we're not all talking about tearing out our
16v's to do an 8v swap, something seems odd here.

Anyone?

Bill Scarince