Re: comments on steering rack replacement?

Power or manual?

This is a good time to also replace your steering rack
bushings($2ea), tie rods & ends, and rear tranny
mount($30).

For a manual rack, you can get a new (non OEM) rack
for $75.  Tie rods are like $30 ea.  Also a good time
to replace tie rod and lower steering gear
boots($15-20$).

If you can get it all at once, expect to spend a day
doing it.  Then expect to get an alignment soon
afterwards.

hth
Mark
--- Daniel Brideau <dan@hobbyetc.com> wrote:
> I suspect the steering rack on my 16V needs to be
> replaced.  I have
> experienced temporary binding while maneuvering in a
> parking lot three times
> to date.
>
> How involved is this?  What should I look to replace
> while there?  What
> should I expect to spend?
>

> Thanks for your input,
>
> Dan Brideau
> http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/
>

> PS Thanks for the list!
>

> --
> Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org  To
> unsubscibe send

=====
Mark
Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/