RE: [OT] Tool Advice/ 3/8" allen sockets

And why should a carmaker be concerned about what a mechanic is going to do
when he's fixing something that shouldn't need attention for about 75-100k
miles or so anyway?

The bolts specified are based on what kind of strength is required in the
application, without regard for something as insignificant as what method
someone is likely to use in 100k miles when it's time to remove and
reinstall them.  That's why they give torque specs - to keep you from using
an impact wrench inappropriately.  Sure, it's tempting, but does it make
sense to do it?

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle