Re: Recommendation Request Commuter VW.

At 02:11 PM 11/28/00 , Brian McGarvey wrote:
>Hey yall,
>
>I have a question. Seems that is all i have. ....
>Next year my wife comes back to the same STATE that I am going to school
>in (whoo hoo). But there is a problem I am going to have to commute
>  ~50mi - 75mi each way to school 3x times per week and when I am working
>somewhere close to that everyday when I am working (6mo per
>year: co-op) And I want a highly reliable VW or at least really easy to
>work on. Are there any recommendations? I would choose a rocco. but
>driving the wheels of one gives me the chills.
>
>Killed in action (commuting) already:
>1980 Caddie Eledorado diesel (...blown heads after I put 80K on it in 2
>years)

Oh My fucking GOD!! :)  Wow, I've finally found someone who's owned one of
those disasters!! :)  How cool!

For those of you who don't know about what GM did, lemme tell ya. :)  Fuel
Crisis, Mercedes is selling 70% of their cars in the US as
Diesels.  Buck-toothed half-retarted GM execs say "Duh, we can do that,
too."  Take a stock 350 V8 and change the pistons and crank to give a 22:1
(or something like that) compression ratio.  Plug up the spark plug holes
in the head and Voila!  The original Caddy Eldo Diesel.

It's my understanding that people were actually INJURED by connecting rods
flying out the side of the block and through the fender. :)  It's one of
the funniest stories in automotive history -- typical GM "If the Germans
did it, we can do it."  Ahhh, the laughs I've had at that car's
expense.  The original version of the engine had an estimated life of
25,000 to 30,000 miles before it would either throw a rod or blow the head
clean off the block.  They made some revisions, and by the later years,
they tended to last 50,000 miles or so.  By comparison, the MB engines,
which were designed as Diesels from the get go, average about 250,000 miles
before things go wrong. Of course, as you all know, the reason our VW
engines last so long is that the block was originally designed for a Diesel
application.

But anyway, Brian, not to be mean to ya at all, bud... ya just made me
reminisce. :)

Jason

>1990 toyota tercel (rings... if it had ANY left; brakes or lack there
>of....<-- that was scary.)
>
>Getting a new home
>1980 Sciricco... (Source of love for VW's :-) )
>This one held up the best, except for the fact it had NO HEAT (blower
>motor) and I only had it a year...
>
>Current Diver
>1990 Ford probe... it has the easy life. I walk to school right now.
>Anybody need a nice car so I can finance my new VW. <G>
>http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt0954a/probe.html
>shameless plug.
>

>--
>Email LIST problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org. To unsubscibe send