CV joints anad Springs!?

Well, finally got the Bilsetein HD/Neuspeed spring
combo (as well as wheels and Dunlops) out from under
the Cabby and put into Victor The Famous Cheap
Scirocco, who is now very happy indeed.

Problem is now there's a *very* heavy thunkthunkthunk
from the drivers front wheel...only on decel/low load
(like down a slight hill) or during steady-state
driving on a flat road.  Under load, it's quiet.  I
did the spin-till-you're-dizzy test for CV joints in
both directions and no problems noticed.

My only guess is that one of the CVs is bad, but it
only showed up now since the the car sits lower than
it did.  Thoughts?  Wheel bearing, hub, tie rod end,
and ball joint recently replaced on this side.  I did
check that the wheel was tight.

Note 1: inner joint has been soaked with tranny oil
(leaking from the inner boot), I have not had time yet
to fix the inner flange seal.  It's probably been this
way awhile.  I've never had an inner CV go bad - what
are the symptoms?

Note 2: Re: ride height:  I made some donuts to fit
under the front springs to raise the ride height a
bit, I believe these are SoftSport springs and by
themselves they were *way* too low (bottomed out a
lot).  The donuts brought it up 3/4", for about a 1"
drop.

Springs: what springs are available that will stiffen
the ride but NOT lower the car dramatically?  I just
don't like the idea that the CV joint would be
constantly operating at an angle with the car
substantially lower.  Seems as though they'd die
quickly.

Thanks...

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past watercooleds...