Re: 79' 1.8 swap

>Dan,
>A 1.8 will bolt in with no problems. You would us the stock injection,
>distributor, manifolds, tranny and mounts from your 1.6. I would upgrade the
>distributor to a Hall-Effect instead of the points or get a pertonics module
>and use the 1.8 210MM clutch instead of the stock 190MM. Just get the upper
>radiator hose for the new motor since the 1.8 water outlet on the head is in
>a different location than your 1.6
>I currently am running a JH with a 4K tranny in my 78 Scirocco and I also did
>this swap to a 82 Cabriolet with a JH and the stock FN tranny.
>Some good information on this at http://www.volkswagen.org/ and click on
>Engine Swaps.
>HTH
>Masun Dixon
>78 Scirocco

Good coverage on this, the only thing I would add is that you check the
fuel distributor...as your car is probably equipped with the 'thick' rim,
lower flowing fuel distributor / air flow plate.  You want a late model
'thin' rimmed distributor because it can flow more air.  Many years ago,
back when EC was VW&P, I think they mentioned this was a very worthwhile
modification...like up to 10 more hp or something great like that. :)
The thick vs thin rimmed thing is really easy to see, the thin ones are
like 1/4 in (or less) , while the thick rimmed ones are like an inch
across at the top; narrowing the air cone and making the flow plate smaller.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net