From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org [mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On
Behalf Of Nate Mellom
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 8:36 PM
To: Scirocco Mailing List
Subject: Oil cooler leak fixed, but....

....now I have REALLY low oil pressure, all the time.  Before the fix
(went to VW and got the cooler-to-mounting flange seal, relatively
straight-forward fix), I was running about 2 bar@4000 rpm (good,
according to Bentley), but almost zero at idle.  I kinda figured my oil
pump was dying.  Now, I have really low pressure at all engine speeds,
and there is a bunch of engine clatter at higher rpm's.  After I got
everything hooked back up, I took it around the block and noticed it.
So, should I assume that a going-bad oil pump went more bad when my oil
cooler seal went out?  It seems to make sense that when all the oil ran
out, the pump started eating itself.  I'm planning on replacing my pump
soon (as soon as I get the time), but does anyone have any ideas what
else it could be?  Yes, it's full of oil, and the filter is almost brand
new, I'm just not getting pressure.  How much does a new oil pump go
for, out of curiosity?

Thanks,
Nate
'84 8v...waiting for a heart transplant