[mk2][8v] "Engine hesitates when gas pedal is floored." (HELP!!)

	I have a problem with my '84 that is making it less and less fun to
drive (at least with a cold engine). The symptom is exactly as the heading
says (same troubleshooting heading as in Poor Richard's book).
	If I start my car up with the engine cold, and slowly depress the
gas pedal, the engine will rev right up just like a good little JH block
should :) However, if I mash the pedal to the floor, the rpms drop a bit
and the engine hesitates before shooting the revs up. Granted, I don't
drive my car by mashing the pedal to the floor each time I want to take
off, but "moderate" flooring of the gas pedal coupled with the load of the
transmission is enough to produce the same symptoms. After the car is
driven to allow the engine to warm, the pedal can be floored with no
hesitation whatsoever.
	Things look a bit more dire with the hood up and the accl. cable
being jerked to simulate flooring the pedal. When the engine hesitates it
sends air back through the throttle body (backfiring, right?) and there is
a popping sound as that air escapes around the air filter seal (?)

	I've gone about doing some testing as described in Poor Richard's
and Bentley for engine hesitation:

	Control pressure regulator has proper voltage and correct internal
resistance
	Thermo time switch is good
	Cold start valve is getting proper voltage and does not leak

	I replaced my fuel pump and injector O-rings over this summer so
they're not a problem either. The Bentley mentions "mechanical faults" as a
possible diagnosis but does not elaborate. Can anyone suggest what the
problem could be? Is this indicative of a need to rebuild the head? I can
understand the hesitation being a problem caused by the CPR, thermo switch,
or cold start, but the fact that the engine is backfiring has me thinking
that some mechanical fault is at play. Would a compression check help pin
point a problem? I hope someone has some suggestions... Did I mention my
Scirocco budget is low because I'm attending college? :(

thanks,

___Wojciech Galecki___
'84 8v Scirocco