That darn clutch

So I'm still sorting out my clutch.  Right now, its the cable that's giving me grief.  I replaced the auto-tensioning cable with a manual one and the pedal feel was crap. I bought a new auto cable and installed it.  cable feel is great, but the thing doesn't pull the lever up enough and I can't get the car in gear with the engine running.  The manual says these things set themselves and there is nothing to do but release the spring after the ends are hooked up.  Doesn't work for me.  I also noticed that with the manual cable in and adjusted so that I can get the car through the gears there is very little lever travel.  I have to take the thing all the way up to where it's in contact with the mount bracket.

I think I have another problem (not the cable), anyone know what it might be?

David Z