Cylinder wall inspection

How much can you tell by doing a visual inspection of the cylinder walls ?
Is there anyway of checking to make sure that the engine will not burn oil.
My mechanic is going to replace the rod bearings, and rebuild the head. He
told me he would visually inspect the walls of the engine, once he has the
head of. We think that replacing the rings at this rime might me over
reacting. He found oil in the 1rst and 4rth. cylinder on the manifold...Any
thoughts....

Jason87vw@nac.net