Re: Designing a RAM air system

In a message dated 11/12/00 3:08:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, DonW@cati.com
writes:

<< Has anyone built a RAM air system for a Scirocco?  Is there any kits that
 you can buy to make one.  I don't want to drill ou my air box like I've
 heard of before unless someone can make a good case for it. >>

Cold air induction is a great idea. Ram Air, on the other hand, may not be.
Here's a link with some interesting comments:

http://www.autophysics.com/design.html

I've found that the dual intake snorkle from an Audi 5000 will "snap" right
onto the 16V Scirocco lower airbox inlet tube. (The 16V has a larger inlet
than the 8V.) The intake can then be routed down to a position under the
bumper. I have got this setup on my Caddy, (changed over from a swiss cheesed
airbox) and it works well, without a lot of loading up (dirt) of the
airfilter.

Real easy and real cheap. The 16V lower airbox is getting to be a rare item,
but I've seen people pick these up for as little as $15 (I think they are
like $65 from the dealer) Audi dual snorkel intakes are even cheaper-- I've
got many of these for $3 to $5 at the U-Pull-It yards...

I had pictures of this setup posted on Jonny Guru's "Bad Habit Rabbit" site,
but recently that site appears to have disappeared... If you want a pict or
two, write me off list and I'll send...

Really, I'm surprised Neuspeed (or some other like firm) hasn't bought up a
bunch of these and sold them as "A1 Ram Air Kits" for $150, with a foam
filter....

HTH,

Danny
81 Caddy 2 liter 16V