tranny 2: shifting probs

Well, after a few hours of playing around, cleaning stuff and all that crap,
I finally got the transaxle in! WOO HOO!!! ok, now it doesn't shift right.
It seems like the shift lever says 1st but it feels like I'm in 3rd. And
when I DO get it going and I shift into 3rd, it seems more like2nd 'cuz the
RPMs jump way up...like a mis-shift from 4th into 5th but you get 3rd
instead. Everything works, just gear shifting is all screwy...  Any ideas???

adam l
86 8v