help- headhasket/ head re pair.

In a message dated 11/9/2000 8:53:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, DonW@cati.com
writes:

<< The head studs are designed to stretch when they are torqued down and
 cannot be reused.  You should purchase new ones.  I got mine from
 Techtonics.  TT also carries ARP brand that is aircraft quality and can be
 reused.  Also my menchanic used a special technique and torque wrench to
 apply the correct torque required.  I'm glad I didn't do mine myself when I
 rebuilt my engine.

I differ here by saying it really is not that bad at all to do yourself.  I
did mine when I was a punkass, well I'm still a punkass but #1.  I did not
replace the head bolts because I wanted to save money.  #2.  I used one of
those cheap ass torque wrenches, you know the one that just has a bar with a
needle.  That was 5 years ago and I have no problems with the head gasket or
engine. Am I lucky? Probably.  Just follow the directions in the Bentley It
tells you exactly how to do it and you should have no problems.

Brian 86 16v