problems setting fuel mixture

Okay, I followed the instructions per Alex's website.  When I plugged in the
harness, the car would not start.  I checked the wiring over and over again.
  I actually opened the circuit by disconnecting one of the leads from my
digital meter, and the car ran like it normally does.  When I tried
reconnecting it in while the car was running, it just died.  After doing
this over and over, I once got it to stay running with the completed circuit
by throttling it with one hand.  The meter reading started at about 16mA,
and went down to 0mA in about 30-40 seconds.  Now the car is running and
everything is hooked up, but I could tweak the mixture screw up and down all
I wanted and it read nothing but 0.  That was the only time I ever got any
reading at all other than zero.  I checked the wiring a thousand times, even
tried hooking it up backwards.  I even unhooked the connector for the DPR
altogether and the car ran the same!  Anyone know what the deal with this
is?

Thanks
Joe

http://profiles.msn.com.