Re: Euro light wiring/relaying

>> I'm sure this has been covered hundreds of times but I
>> need to ask. Do I need to relay my Euro lights if I'm
>> only going to use 65/55's?

Only if you want to have more than 35% of the actual voltage the lights
should normally have.  With the resistance in the wiring, the lights are
only seeing about 35 Watts.  The good news is, if you don't relay them, at
least those 35 Watts will have the euro pattern on the road (!).

>> Also, the center two lights essentially become the low beams after
turning on
>> the highs right?

The center lights are the high beams and because of the direction they are
aimed and the pattern on the reflector.  They are a single filament bulb
whereas the H4's are dual filament bulbs.  Wired properly (by changing your
factory plug), all four lights should come on with the hi-beam switch.

A point to ponder.  If you would have relayed your previous DOT lights, they
would put out more light than the e-code lights.  Two reasons to switch to
e-code lighting: so you can benefit from the beam pattern thrown onto the
road (and out of oncoming drivers eyes)- so you can upgrade the output with
higher wattage bulbs.

I seem to recall a site where everyone can discover tech tips for their
Scirocco's.  Is it Scirocco.com?  Maybe Scirocco.net?  Just kidding, check
out the tech procedures on www.scirocco.org and relay your lights.  It only
seems difficult.

Throw some light, I got's the ticket to prove it!
David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco (470W high beams)
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR

I was considering using the center two as
fog lights with yellow H3 bulbs wired to a separate
switch.